The Brisbane Fly Fishing Club Inc. (BFFC) came to life as a gathering of like minded fly fishers in 2009 and was incorporated in 2013. We aim to actively promote the sport of fly fishing in an ethical and sustainable manner.
We are a social club focused on enjoying the sport of fly fishing. We encourage prospective members and visiting fly fishers to join us to exchange tips, techniques and experience in fly tying, casting and fishing locations.
Anyone from the seasoned fly fishing veteran to enthusiastic beginner is welcome.
COVID-19. BFFC are operating under a COVID Safe Event Checklist. If you are ill, feeling unwell or displaying any flu like symptoms, please seek medical advice and DO NOT attend any real-life event!
- BTOF @ Bribie Island BTOF @ Bribie Island on Friday 30th Apr 2021 from 6:00:pm. Brisbane Tuna (and Flathead) on Fly. The clubs Annual competition held over a weekend at Bribie Island where the boaties can target Tuna, and land based anglers can aim for flathead. Open to all comers. Registration opens on Friday night for early start on Saturday.
- Virtual Fly Tying Virtual Fly Tying on Wednesday 5th May 2021 from 7:00:pm. Our regular fly tying slot on Zoom. Learn new techniques and fly patterns from the comfort of your own home. All skill levels catered for!
- Bream on the Gold Coast Bream on the Gold Coast on Sunday 30th May 2021 from 8:00:am. It’s become quite a fly fishers target, so lets learn how to catch bream!
- Virtual Fly Tying Virtual Fly Tying on Wednesday 2nd Jun 2021 from 7:00:pm. Our regular fly tying slot on Zoom. Learn new techniques and fly patterns from the comfort of your own home. All skill levels catered for!
- Bass @ Kurwongbah Bass @ Kurwongbah on Sunday 27th Jun 2021 from 8:00:am. Rounding off the year at this awesome lake targeting Bass.
- Virtual Fly Tying Virtual Fly Tying on Wednesday 7th Jul 2021 from 7:00:pm. Our regular fly tying slot on Zoom. Learn new techniques and fly patterns from the comfort of your own home. All skill levels catered for!
Covid-19 and we are still in business!
Despite these interesting times, The BFFC are meeting in person whenever possible on the third Wednesday of the month and via Zoom whenever not. We also now meet on the first Wednesday off the month for our popular VFT events. What’s VFT? It stands for Virtual Fly Tying 🙂
If you wish to join us in person or in Zoomland, please contact us through the contact form, or on Facebook. We’re trying to transition back to Real Life, but venues are proving difficult, so please be patient!
Along with our monthly club meetings, we endeavour to hold a club outing at least every two months. These outings are a great opportunity to target seasonal species and learn from more experienced club members. Details of past and current events are on our Facebook page.
We also periodically host weekend casting clinics from nationally and internationally renowned casting instructors and demonstrations from fly fishing suppliers.
We welcome all prospective members and visiting fly fishers to join us at our events, however please note that in some cases, insurance requirements may require us to restrict participation to financial club members only. Please contact a member of the club executive for confirmation.
Brisbane Tuna on Fly Competition
Each year during Autumn, the Brisbane Fly Fishing Club (BFFC) hosts our premier fly fishing competition, Brisbane Tuna on Fly (BTOF) in the waters off Bribie Island.
Details will be published on our Facebook page, but competition entry forms etc can be found here.
The competition is open all fly anglers who have registered and paid the very reasonable entry fee.
A compulsory registration and briefing is held on the Friday night and the competition runs all day Saturday and until noon on Sunday.